Saturday, July 12, 2014

MISSING POSITANO


Positano, Italy





Missing Positano. Yes I surely do. Positano, a small little town on The Amalfi Coast just south of Sorrento, Napoli, and the Bay of Naples is without question "One of The Most Beautiful Spots on The World." Yes it's gorgeous, just look at the picture or ask anyone who's been there. The little town, former fishing village is located in a natural amphitheater with churches, homes, and hotels sweeping down its hills to the gorgeous Mediterranean Sea (Tyrrenhian Sea) below.
The first time I went to Positano was on June of 1985 .. This was my first trip to Europe where i flew to Rome, where I was blown away by the city, the history, the Roman Forum, the fountains, the food, the markets, gelato, everything. I felt like a kid on Christmas Day, which was the same feeling I'd 3 weeks later after spending 5 days in Rome, then going up to Florence to see my high school friend JoAnn who was now living there and married to an Italian man. Spent 5 days there before heading to Barcelona to redevous with some friend from New York, go to Blanes on the COsta Brava before heading over to Nice and the French Riviera. I was in Seventh Heaven, a young man on his own in Italy, France, and Spain. Boy was that trip unforgettable.
It was then on to a couple days in Venice, and from there I was on my way down to Naple, Positano, and the Amalfi Coast.
My first trip I stayed at a little pensione called Villa Maria Antoinette, a cute little place. Positano was absolutely gorgeous. I'd got down to the beach, rent a chaise lounge, swim, drink Campari, and soak up the son, yes life was beautiful. I'd eat Pesce Spada and Spaghetti Vongole at Vincenzo's, La Cambussa, and a couple other little trattoria's around town. I met the Di Martino's who owned the hottest little Bar / Caffe in town Bar Di Martino, where everyone and everyone went, especially in the evening.
I had a great few days before heading back to Rome for a night before flying home. Wow, what a trip?
The next year I would return. I found a different hotel this time. The previous year, the Villa Maria Antoinette was nice, but there were no common rooms to hang out with other guest so I had done some scouting actually that first trip for the following years stay. I checked out Santa Caterina across from Bar DiMartino where I had had Pizza on the terrazza one night in 1985 .. I actually ended up at The Casa Albertina which was a great friend. When I walked in, Lorenzo greeted me with a warm welcome and gave me a special young persons rate at this beautiful family owned hotel. Casa Albertaina was gorgeous, with white wash walls, beautiful tile floors with tiles from Vietro Sul Mare on the Amalfi Coast. They had beautiful antique furniture and fine oil paintings on the wall. My room was quite lovely, with arched windows and door, nice appointments and a lttle balcony that looked out to Positano and the Mediterrnean below. Yes again I was in 7th Heaven. 
My third trip to Poitano and the Amalfi Coast would also find me spending a few wonderful days on the beautiful Island of Capri. I took the train down to Naples. Hopped a cab to the ferry terminal and a ferry to Capri. Took the ferry over, got a room at the Villa Tosca, and had 3 wonderful days in Capri before talking a boat over to Positano before spending afew days at the Casa Albertina, and my beloved Positano.
I had a wonderful time on that trip in 1988, in; Rome, Capri, and Positano, but little did I know that I wouldn't return for some time. 
 i still haven't been back, but I'm hoping to return at least once more. It's not that I haven't traveled. I've been around the World 3 times over, on 3 trips to Asia, in; China, Hong Kong, Thailand, The Phillipines, Bangkok, Saigon, Vietnam, and Cambodia. I've been twice to Brazil, to Havana Cuba, Columbia, Mexico, several trips to Paris, and several more to Italy, but usually taking me up north to Verona and Lago di Garda on wine-trips that included; Florence, Montalcino, Chianti Classico, and Liguria, but not my beloved Positano. Who knows, one day again, maybe. Positano, I miss you and think of you often.



Daniel Bellino-Zwicke





Me & NICOLETTA

Breakfast
at
Cassa Albertina

POSITANO, ITALY









No comments:

Post a Comment

Learn How to Make SINATRA SUNDAY SAUCE ITALIAN GRAVY

Sinatra n Sunday Sauce

   SINATRA & SUNDAY SAUCE ?   Yes, they go together, Francis Albert Sinatra  & Sunday Sauce  ...            ...